Do you prefer A or B?
- Personally, I prefer A to B/ If I were to chose between the two, I would go for the former/latter
- This is simply because/ There are several reasons why…
- Besides/ Moreover/ In addition/…
- In a word, I will go for A
Ex: Where do youngsters love to live in? Flat or Private house?
It depends. For the young who earn a fortune, they have a tendency to live in private house. However, for fresh graduates, flat would be their optimal choice.
Type 2: Question of importance.
Is/Are A important?
- Yes, I always believe that A is essential and necessary for…
- Without (doing) A, we would +… | Let’s imagine, if …
- Besides,…: Supporting ideas.
- So, obviously, there is no doubt about the significance of A
Ex: Do you think that music is important?
Yes, absolutely. Music plays a crucial role in human’s life, without music, our life would be so dull and boring. This is due to the fact that music is a great way for us to escape from the hustle and bustle of the life. Moreover, it cheer people up greatly when they feel blue. Last but not least, by listening to music, people have better understanding about the outside world.
Type 3: Question of popularity.
What is/are… the most popular in your country?
- It depends
- For A, I believe that they have a fancy for…
- Yet/ However, for B, I guess they tend to like … including…. That’s probably because…
Ex: What is the most popular sport in your country?
It depends. For the young, they are more in favour of ball games or dynamic sports such as volleyball, basketball, tennis. Yet, for the old/ the senior citizens, they are more into relaxing sports like jogging, yoga and meditation.
Type 4: Question of differences.
What are the differences between A and B?
Obviously, A and B have some certain differences/ Well, there are some obvious differences between A and B,
- Unlike A, B tends to…
- A is… while B is more likely to..
- Compared with A, B is less likely to…
Type 5: Advantages and Disadvantages.
- Well,.. is beneficial in a variety of ways.
- Firstly,… Besides,..
- However, when it comes to the drawbacks, I have to say that…
Ex: What are some advantages of using technology?
From my perspective, there are numerous benefits of using cutting-edge technology. First, high-qualified devices enable people from different places to interact and communicate efficiently. On top of that, by using technology, all the tasks at the work place and study place are facilitated. For example, people can send and receive emails to their partners whenever they want. Last but not least, people have an instant unlimited resource to get information by just a click of mouse.
Type 6: Changes.
What are the changes…
- Generally speaking, people used to..
- However, nowadays, people tend to…
Ex: Compared to a few decades ago, do you think in your country do more or less exercise?
In the olden days, living standard was not improved as nowadays, people had to earn their living and regarded sport as a form of exercise. Nowadays, people have a tendency to go to the gym to work out, keep themselves in good shape and show off themselves.